~ How to Install Faux Shiplap and Beadboard Walls ~



Thanks for joining me on my version of "how to install faux shiplap 
and vintage beadboard walls".

This is the entryway in my 1952 Ranch Style house
in historic McKinney, TX.


The house foundation shifts quiet a bit with our
clay soil...this causes the sheetrock in the entryway
to crack depending on the weather.
So I decided to cover the walls in faux shiplap
and some vintage chippy beadboard. The wood
covers the cracks and moves as the house moves.


Faux shiplap is very affordable when you use Underlayment 4' x 8' sheets
purchased at Home Depot.  Home Depot will cut the sheets for you FREE.
Cut the Underlayment sheet lengthwise in 6" strips.  You will get 8 - 6" strips
per sheet.  The cost is $13.98 per sheet. 
Just measure the square feet you are covering and divide by 48 to
determine how many sheets you will need.


You will need an air compressor and nail gun to make this an easy task.
I nailed the faux shiplap strips over sheet-rock.  What I like so much about
faux shiplap is the 1/4" thickness versus real shiplap that is 1/2" thick.
Real shiplap is so expensive and decreases the depth of your door and window trim.
Make sure your existing wall color is the same color as the painted faux shiplap 
so the original wall color doesn't show through the space between the shiplap strips.
My original wall color was coral...so instead of painting all the walls
white I painted in-between the strips white...that way the coral was hidden.
This simple trick saved me a ton of time and money!

I started hanging the strips at the ceiling and worked my way down to where
the beadboard started. I started the beadboard at chair-rail height of 36".
If my first row wasn't level with the existing crown molding I could either trim
the first cut to fit or use caulking to hide the space between the crown
molding the the faux shiplap.  I choose to use caulking instead of cutting the boards to fit.
Stagger your seams on each row.

The underlayment is pretty porous so I sealed it with a white primer before
I painted with color Pure White by Sherwin Williams.  I had to paint
two coats of Pure White because a very white paint has very little
color pigment added to it...so two coats is needed for good coverage.

The beadboard was very easy to install using the nail gun.  I measured each piece
to the needed height and nailed to the wall.  I used a jigsaw to cut the small fill-in pieces.
I love this chippy vintage beadboard with the smooth faux shiplap.
And I didn't have to paint the beadboard!!!


I love the look of the beadboard and the shiplap together.  I used trim
to cover the transition of both boards.


I installed a vintage screen door in the door opening leading to my office/craft room.
I painted it the Pure White trim color, added vintage glass hardware 
and hung a spring wreath.


I am a collector from way back.  On the bar/secretary piece I displayed
vintage jars stuffed with old white buttons, family crystal pieces, family
silver pieces and mirrors.  The silver cake plate is from my parent's wedding
and the silver cruet set is from my maternal grandparent's farm in Iowa.


Please join me on Instagram and Facebook...I hang out there
everyday!!!






Shop for Paint Pinterest Google+ Facebook Instagram


1 comment:

  1. i would like to know how/where you got the beadboard in that lovely distressed, multi-color

    ReplyDelete